Friday, October 9, 2015

Movie Reviews; The Giver, and The Young Victoria

Today, I am going to be doing two movie reviews.  Lets start with The Giver. 

 

In the world that Jonas lives in there is no color.  At the coronation they tell you what you have to do and be.  There is no choice.  The world they live in is represented well through black and white picture.  Very strict.  No Freedom. But no one notices because it is all they have ever known.  Everyone is equal.  There is no envy.  No deceit.

There is a scene when the memory is war, but it isn't that long.  They have a place called Elsewhere, where they send the old people, and the babies that are not healthy.  This place is not real, they put a shot into them that kills them.



 
Jonas.
 
 At the coronation, which is when they basically graduate and now get their forever job.  Jonas's friends, Fiona and Asher are chosen for regular jobs.  Asher is a drone pilot, and Fiona is a caregiver  
for the babies.  Jonas, he gets to be the Receiver of Memory.

  The first time he goes to the Givers home, at the edge of their world and drops down into the unknown.  The Giver puts his hands on top of Jonas's, and suddenly, Jonas is in this beautiful world of color, with snow falling all around him.  He see's a sled for the first time and rides down on it.  Once he gets to the bottom poof, he's back at the Givers house. 

I saw this movie in the movie theater, and I must say it truly is amazing when you see the color, the crispness of it.  Here you are in black and white and then...color.  God's beautiful creation.

 
 
The Giver.
 
Jeff Bridges plays the Giver, and I must say I really like him.  The Giver holds all of the memories of the world forgotten.  The elders that are in charge of this world, don't even know the life before.  If they need guidance they will ask him for it, otherwise, they leave him alone.  He is the keeper of memories, but he has no one to share them with...until Jonas is chosen as the new Receiver.
 
*SPOLIERS*  The reason I say *new* is because there was a receiver before Jonas, that couldn't handle some of the more...sad memories, such as war.  The few scenes with her, she is played by Taylor Swift. She went to the Elders, and was sent to Elsewhere. (she died) * END OF SPOILERS*
 
 

 
Fiona.
 
She is like a love interest for Jonas, but I like her.  She is fun and sweet, and cares about Jonas.  It's nice that they grew up together being friends, then it develops into something more.
She is also not afraid to do the right thing. 
 

 
Overall, this movie is on faith and freedom.  Jonas gets a taste of what he has been deprived from his whole life.  He sees all the good, and some bad.  But he knows that the way that he, his family, friends, and everyone else have been living, is not really living at all.  So he sets out to do what is right, even when it is hard.  He has faith that he can do it, and freedom ringing in his heart.
 
The scenes when he is getting memories from the Giver, are truly beautiful.  The color, scenery, all of it.  I think sometimes we take for granted all that we have been blessed with.  God is truly an amazing artist, I love His creation that is all around us.  The mountains, lakes, ocean, trees, flowers, and the sky.  There is more, but I will stop there. 
 
If you have not seen this movie, you should!  It is well done and inspiring. 
 
 
 
The Young Victoria
 
 
 
The Young Victoria is about Queen Victoria and her younger days.  She is played by Emily Blunt and she did a great job! Her outfits where gorgeous!  And as you can see in the picture above, she is wearing flowers in her hair, and that was true with the real Queen Victoria.
 
 
Queen Victoria.  See the flowers? :)
 
 
 Aren't they adorable? 
 
 Victoria inherited the throne at the young age of 18.  Her father and all of her uncles had died, and she was the only legitimate child left.  She is also the first Royal to live at Buckingham Palace. 
 
She meets Prince Albert (her cousin) before she becomes queen, and they like each other from the start.  They write each other, and Albert comes to visit.  It is the sweetest of the romance stories, because it was real.  Not just in the movie, but with the real Albert and Victoria herself. 
 
This movie is so sweet, I love the parts with Albert and Victoria.  You can tell that they really love one another.  Albert didn't want to marry the Queen for a title, he wanted to marry her because he loves her.  One of my favorite parts is when she proposes to him, because you cannot propose to a Queen, she has to ask you.
 
Prince Albert: I just got your note. I was riding.
                                           Queen Victoria: Sit, please.
                                           Prince Albert: The park is marvelous.
                                           Queen Victoria: I'm so pleased you like it. I do want you to feel quite at home... I'm sure you're aware why I wished you to come here. Because it would make me happier than anything, too happy really, if you would agree to what I wish.
                                          Prince Albert: And stay with you?
                                         Queen Victoria: And stay with me.
                                          Prince Albert: And marry you?
                                         Queen Victoria: And marry me!

*happy sigh*  I just love this part.  Reading it doesn't do it justice.
 
Besides the romance aspect, it also has some bad guys, allow me to introduce you to,
 
 Sir John Conroy
 
Grrrr.  I don't like this guy.  Of course I  do like Mark Strong the actor, but the character...is bad.
Sir John is a control freak, over all of the Duchess of Kent's (Victoria's mother) business.  He takes care of her funds, is super bossy and wants to control Victoria.  Once Victoria is Queen, she takes her leave and lives at Buckingham Palace.  Though he does come to live there for a time with her mother.
 He is cruel to Victoria, and eventually, he is dismissed.
 
Victoria to her Mother: Oh, and if you think that I will ever forget that you just stood by silent and you watched him treat me thus, you are dreaming!
 
Yes, Sir John heavily influenced The Duchess of Kent.  In some not good ways.
 
 
 Lord Melbourne
 
Though you would like to think he is help the Queen, he is in it for his own selfish game.  He tries to control Victoria, and she trusts him, believing that he is helping her.  I love Albert, he can see right through him.  Here is a quote that Albert says to him;
 
Lord Melbourne: Your Highness, there's your opening if you'll take my advice...
 
Prince Albert: Lord Melbourne, forgive me but you seem to have confused me with a member of your club. I am not your drinking companion nor your whist partner. I am the husband of your sovereign. And as such, I will make my own decisions, and I neither seek nor invite your advice. Good evening."
 
 You go Albert!  Stand your ground man, stand yo ground.
 
 
Prince Albert
 
I just love Prince Albert.  He is so sweet and kind.  He truly loves Victoria with all of this heart. 
He wants to help people and Victoria.  They even had their desks put back to back, so that they could face each other while they worked.  Also, do you recognize the actor??  It is Mr. Wickham from Pride and Prejudice 2005.  When my mom told me that I was kinda freaking out.  Yes...it does look like him, just remove the facial hair.  I like him better with facial hair, as I do with most guys. :)
 
 
*SPOILERS* And when he gets shot at the end, for protecting Victoria. 
 
                      Queen Victoria: [sobbing] I'm so sorry! I thought I was going to lose you!                      Prince Albert: I don't think he was a very good shot.
                      Queen Victoria: Why did you do it? So stupid, why did you do it?
                      Prince Albert: I had two very good reasons. First, I am replaceable and you are not.
                      Queen Victoria: You are not replaceable to me!
                      Prince Albert: Second, you're the only wife I've got or ever will have. You are my
                      whole existence, and I will love you until my very last breath.

                               Awwww.  Isn't he just the sweetest?! *END OF SPOILERS*
 

 
 

 
 Over all, I loved this movie.  I like that it is pretty accurate to the real story.  It was so delightful, and just...ahhh.  If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. 
 
As a final note, Victoria and Albert loved each other so much, that after he died, Victoria went into such grief. Each day she would have his clothes laid out, and wore only black for the rest of her life.  Thankfully, that didn't get into the movie...that would have been sad. 
 
Also, they had nine children.  Yes, nine.  In the movie Albert said he wanted a big family.  :)
 
If you read all of that, kudos to yah. :)  I hope you enjoyed it. 
 
Blessings,
Morgan

 

6 comments:

  1. I have finally become a fan of The Young Victoria, you'll be pleased to know;) The first couple times I watched it, I liked it but didn't really love it, ya know? But then I re-watched it recently and I REALLY liked it. IT'S A GREAT MOVIE!!! Awesome review, thank you for it!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I am so glad! ;) It is a great movie!! Thank you, Olivia!! :D

      Delete
  2. I thought the Giver was really thoughtful and creative as well. The cinematography was excellent in capturing the book's descriptions.

    I wish I remembered The Young Victoria better. I know I saw it once and liked it. The version I always watch and HIGHLY recommend if you haven't seen it is A&E's Victoria and Albert. It has Victoria Hamilton and Jonathan Firth and just like you said-- really true to the story with lots of awesome relationship. This version goes all the way to before the throne to after Albert's death, though, so . . . yeah. I cry every time. It's excellent and you should go watch it now :D Oh and it's two parts, so it just feels like a period piece, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool!! Now I want to go watch it! Even though I know it is going to be sad. *tears* Thank you, Abigayle!! :)

    ReplyDelete